Friday, May 29, 2020

Not My America


I honestly can’t decide what young adult fantasy dystopian novel/movie I am living in right now.

Does this story take place in Panem? The Earth of the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

All I know is that I am waiting for someone to jump out of my closet and yell, “CUT! That’s a wrap!”

I do not know how we got to this point. At around 4pm today, I drove down the street, eyeing the overflowing supermarkets with boarded over windows and lines of customers expanding into the parking lot. Thankfully, I did not need to fill up my car with gas; if I had, I would have turned and noticed, too late, the flimsy yellow plastic barrier warning me to stay back. I am scared to travel northbound – I know that all I will see are burned down buildings and destruction. Katniss would feel right at home.

Not even three months ago, peoples’ biggest worry was having enough toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Now, streets are being looted, small and large businesses set aflame and raided. Countless people die every day, faster than we can keep up with. Death is fluid; it has many faces and forms that we cannot catch or keep contained. There is truth in the statement, “life isn’t fair”, but if we are being completely honest, there is more validity in the claim that “death isn’t fair”. There is no pattern, no reasoning, no justice when it comes to who lives and who dies. The Endgame that the world find itself in does not include a purple giant with a god complex, ready to snap.

However, in one small corner of the earth, a diluted version of this scene did play out. Instead of being gigantic and purple, the man was of average height and white. Instead of using fingers, he used his knee. And this hasn’t been the first snap. There have been many; for too long have people caged and twisted their privilege into an offensive weapon rather than a helpful tool. Thanos is running rampant in America. And sadly, we don’t just have one purple god-giant, we have hundreds. There are thousands of people who would snap their fingers without a second thought. Because of this, our Marvel team is working overtime. They are struggling to be heard. They have been fighting this battle for years, but in this rendition, there is no Tony Stark to come to the rescue.

During a peaceful protest I witnessed on television today, one woman who spoke mentioned the concept of a “White Wakanda”. My brain immediately rejected this idea, because (thanks to the incredible individuals who had a hand in creating the brilliant film that is Black Panther) Wakanda is a haven. It is a glorious, strong, abundant, and advanced place of beauty that is the home of highly developed tribes. Colonizers have no place there. “White Wakanda” is an oxymoron; the words simply should not be in the same sentence.

I finally read an article that provided clarity: “America is Wakanda for White people”[1]. White Wakanda: a haven for white people. White men and women fear much less in this nation than people of any other race; therefore, this concept makes sense - this is our Wakanda. And what a terrible, crappy, version of Wakanda it is. The real Wakanda would have found a cure for COVID-19 by now. It would have faced the issues that arise and solved them by now. It would have had no tolerance for injustice towards any of its people. Citizens who showed cruelty and acted in inhumane ways would have faced consequences that matched the severity of the offense.

Wakanda is a brilliant, extraordinary place that is home to a strong and resilient people. Its existence is necessary and important. But the people of this world need to rise above. We need to create something better. We need to destroy White Wakanda and lay the foundation for a world in which acceptance is natural and second nature to all people. We need to fill the gaps and mend the bridges that have been previously burned. We need reform. I refuse to live in a world where the young adults I teach are unable or afraid to leave the house. I refuse to accept a line of work in which the students that I lead and care for are relieved not to come to school because it increases their chances of not getting shot. I refuse to live in a world where men are murdered because unnecessary force is used when they decline getting in a police car.

There is importance in the statement, “Wakanda forever”. We need a system and place of peace and justice for minority groups.

But why not aim higher?



[1] America: Wakanda For White People
Michael Harriot - https://www.theroot.com/america-wakanda-for-white-people-1823224399

No comments:

Post a Comment

Secondhand Trauma

I hate you. Truly. I hate what you've done to me.  I detest you, even though I know you are formless and faultless. You are simply exper...