Monday, July 13, 2020

For the People? Nah.

It was Abraham Lincoln who spoke the phrase, "of the people, by the people, for the people," in his famous Gettysburg Address. In this section of his speech, he was referencing the strong, dependable government that would unite and support all American citizens. 

Look how far we have come; "of the people, by the people, for the people" feels like a broken promise. 


If you were "for the people", you'd care more about the well-being of your citizens than the well-being of the economy. 

If you were "for the people", you wouldn't be forcing and pressuring the 3.7+ million teachers in America to decide whether to sacrifice their health or their career.

If you were "for the people",  I would not be worried about my health because I was required to return to work as case numbers rose. 

If you were "for the people", schools wouldn't have template letters for the death of a student or teacher prepared for the coming school year. 

If you were "for the people", the fatality rate would likely be exponentially lower. 

If you were "for the people", you wouldn't be shaming educators about going back to into their workplace. 

If you were "for the people", I wouldn't have felt compelled to make a health care directive at age 25.

If you were "for the people", I wouldn't feel expendable.

If you were "for the people", I would feel safe.

I'm ready to be reminded what a government that is "for the people" is like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Secondhand Trauma

I hate you. Truly. I hate what you've done to me.  I detest you, even though I know you are formless and faultless. You are simply exper...